There’s a lot being done for matchmaking in the romantic context, there’s just about no efficient of discovering people who share your interests for an activity – in a local / real time / social context.
I was hoping Meetup would move effectively in this direction, but they don’t seem to care so much about spontaneous / mobile-first real time social/location approach or leverage the current social network of the user. Communities like Couchsurfing and internations enable these meetups – but nothing spontaneous / sharp on current location or time.
So here’s how this would work.
- I connect my Facebook to the App
- I name an activity, setup a time and venue – structured inputs to appear on a calendar as well as a map.
- Say a game of squash at Saket Sports Club at 8 AM on Sunday 20th Sept.
- Share this on my social network if I want to.
- People within the geography who have played squash before / have the squash in their profile tags get an alert for the activity.
- They can express interest in joining. (or directly join – need to test trust levels amidst friends of friends versus complete strangers)
- I confirm one/more of the interested folks and this makes an entry into all our calendars, with set reminders etc.
- Ensure mobile /email ID verification, show users count of FB friends and my connection to them – making it easier to trust.
- Recommend that first meeting happens at a public place if it’s between strangers.
- We meet and play squash. Or watch a movie or go photographing the street or volunteer at a local NGO.
Users can create activities / explore current activities around them. So if I wake up on a Saturday morning and thought about what I wanted to do later today, this is the place where I can find what people are upto and join something I find interesting and closeby.
Of course, this needs network effects to get meaningful and have the right number of activities being posted / executed.